Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Blueberry Bread Pudding w/ Condensed Milk Sauce

Anybody who knows me, know I am not a dessert person.  I don't like sweet very much, and I probably have my mom to thank for that.  My mom didn't let me have a lot of sweets growing up.  So I usually passed on cakes and cookies.  I don't know what it is about bread pudding that draws me to it so much.  Every time there is bread pudding on the menu I have to order it.  There's something so comforting to me about pudding and i'm the same way with french toast.

I've been playing around with bread pudding a lot lately, making it at least once and sometimes even twice a week.  You can turn pretty much any dessert into a bread pudding!  Have anybody ever had freshly baked baguettes dipped in condensed milk?  If you haven't, you need to try it!  And that's where I got my inspiration for this recipe.  I hope you all will enjoy this amazing dessert! 

Ingredients:

1 loaf of French bread
3 eggs
2.5-3 cups of heavy cream (this depends on how firm you want it to be)
2 cups of sugar (more or less depends on your taste)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 cup of blueberry
1 cup of milk
1/4 cup of condensed milk

1.   Tear bread into smaller pieces.
2.  Mix sugar and heavy cream together first, this way you can taste it in case you want to adjust the sweetness.  Add eggs, vanilla, and nutmeg to the mixture, and mix with a whisk.  
3.  Add the bread to the wet ingredients and combine.  I find it easier to use your hand with gloves.  Make sure everything piece of bread is soaked in the wet mixture.  Fold in the blueberry.  And let everything sit for about 15-20 minutes.  
4.  Pre-heat oven to about 300 degrees.
5.  Butter a baking pan and then start stuffing it with the bread mixture.  Because I like my bread pudding a little firm, I make sure I pack the pan pretty tightly.  
6.  Put in the oven for about 40 minutes.  Then I take it out and brush the top with some butter (this will help it form the delicious crust at the top), put it back in the over turn it up to about 350 degrees for another 15 minutes or until you get that golden brown crust.  
7.   In a pot combine the milk and condensed milk.  Cook it on medium heat, mix thoroughly and let it cook until the two ingredients blend together. 
8.  Let the bread pudding cool completely. 
9.  Cut out a piece and serve it on top of a bath of sauce or you can just dip it in the sauce.  
10.  Enjoy!

1 comments:

Ken Nguyen said...

I knew you like cooking...but didn't know you were this intense! :-D So refreshing to read a food blog. BTW - I LOVE desserts :) My favorite has to be Raspberry Russian Parfait. It is not sweet, but not null...just perfect texture!